Tuesday, July 15, 2008

9 month sigh

Abbie was diagnosed with leukemia when she was 9 months old. During her entire battle with leukemia, Raelyn was growing in me - growing in life the entire time Abbie was fighting for hers. Rae was born just two months after little Abbie went to heaven. She was a healthy little girl, she has funny little webbed toes (her 2nd and 3rd toes on both feet) but otherwise she is seemingly a normal little girl. She rolled over late, sat up late, and crawled late - just like all of my other little ones. Yet, there loomed over me the 9 month well visit. Despite speaking the truth to myself that leukemia is not genetic, that Rae showed no sign of head bumps (Abbie's first symptom), that she seemed perfectly normal - there was still that part of me that held a little bit of anxiety over the 9 month well visit. Despite knowing it was highly improbable, there was part of me that was anxious the dreaded word "leukemia" would be spoken again. I breathed a sigh of relief as we walked out of the doctor's appointment after Dr. Pizza said "She's fine, she just needs to gain a little weight". I don't think she had any idea that the words were like music to my ears... fine but she needs to fatten up? That is easy to deal with!

No comments: