Sunday, June 29, 2008

We are far too easily pleased....

Eliana: I want a Popsicle
Eliana: I want a Popsicle
Eliana: I want a Popsicle

Meanwhile, Darren and I have been planning on taking the kids out for ice cream all day (one of Ellie's favorite things to do)....

Eliana: I really want a Popsicle!

This little scenario reminded me of a quote (I believe it is from C.S. Lewis but I read it in Desiring God by John Piper).... we are far too easily pleased - we are content with making mud pies in the city because we don't know (or understand) about making sandcastles by the sea (paraphrased version).

How many times have we asked for something only to discover later that something so much better was on the way? As a young adult, I remember praying for a certain boy to ask me out. I am so thankful that God didn't "answer" that prayer as God granted me a much better husband in Darren.

Oh, and Eliana still would like her Popsicle and we are off for some ice cream - I hope she is not too disappointed :)

No comments: