Thursday, June 19, 2008

Stop to smell the roses....



One year ago today we were told that Abbie's leukemia was back (just 2 months after her bone marrow transplant). I remember feeling like my heart had dropped into my stomach and was being burned up by the acid. I remember calling Darren at work and telling him to come meet me in Ann Arbor because I just didn't want to be alone, yet the only person I wanted around me was Darren. I remember the pain of telling him knowing that his heart would also feel the same acute, all-consuming, pain. I also remember thanking God for giving me such an amazing husband. He drove all the way to Ann Arbor by himself to be with his baby girl and his wife. He snuggled us, cried with us, and was my rock. He was my strength when I had none left.


After Abbie finished getting the blood cells she needed, Darren and I took her to the arboretum at U of MI to take some pictures. It was such a sweet time... we set Abbie in front of some roses and she picked them, smelled them, and even tried to eat them! Darren snuggled with her on a bench and we just enjoyed being together on a lovely sunny day. It was a moment where I just stopped to smell and enjoy the roses because I wasn't sure Abbie was ever going to see them again. I focused on enjoying the moment and not worrying about what was to come. I am so thankful for that precious memory of my wonderful husband snuggling with my beautiful daughter on a gorgeous day in God's glorious creation.

As a side note - Darren's birthday is tomorrow... so, if you would like, leave a comment to wish him a happy birthday!

4 comments:

slybabyk said...

Thank you for sharing this blog with us Julie. The best of birthday wishes and many happy returns to Darren tomorrow.
Kim A., Panama City

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday, Darren! We pray you will have a fun day.

Kelly said...

Darren and Julie I am so inspired by the way in which you carry yourself. It makes me feel better just to be around you. You give people a tremenous sense of peace. Thank you for being you.

Happy Birthday Darren!! (feel free to stop by for a cupcake hee hee)

Kelly, Paul & Riley,
Toledo, Ohio

chrisk said...

First of all.. Happy belated Birthday Darren! I hope you had time to stop and smell the roses.

Julie, your writing always touches me. You and your family have given me a different and better way of looking at the world. Thank you for inspiring me and especially for inspiring Colleen.

Also...love the newer pic on the swing. Too cute.

love,
Chris