Monday, October 13, 2008

A fall(ish) Northern Michigan Trip!

For those of you who have never experienced a Northern Michigan fall... you are missing out on one of the most beautiful things I can imagine. When Abbie was in the hospital and I just needed to get away, I would always take myself on a little mind vacation to Northern Michigan.
Sometimes I would imagine being there during the summer when I could sit out on the deck with the sun naturally shaded by a large tree. I would take my book out there and do some "reading"... which really means read one sentence about 20 times and then just give in to the sounds of the water lapping at the edge of the lake and the breeze rustling the leaves above me and go off into a deep sleep.
Sometimes, I would imagine being there in the fall taking a hike in one of the nature areas. The air would be crisp, the fallen leaves would rustle under my feet and falling leaves would float gently down from the trees. I would breathe in the crisp clean air and remember God's provision for every part of His creation. I thank God for these visual reminders of His beauty and provision in creation as they made my small hospital room seem less claustrophobic.

Below are some pictures from our weekend get-away to Northern Michigan. It was 75-80 degrees everyday so it wasn't exactly fall weather but we had a great time!
Darren hiking the trail at Rugg pond


the girls "hiking"... I think if I go on another mind vacation, I am going hiking in a stroller too!

Rugg pond... it has looked the same since I was a little girl but as those pictures aren't digital you will just have to trust me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think fall is my favorite season of all. Especially now that we live where there is color. Is this the lake where your folk's cabin is? I can just barely remember that.

And $2.89 for gas??? I just got excited when I noticed ours had come down to $3.45!

mommy nurse said...

Great shots of the colors! I can't believe how big your girls have gotten!

Gas does put a smile on your face ( I mean the price of gas)!

Rottier said...

Breathtaking! Thank you for sharing Julie!